Chadia is a Civil Engineering PhD candidate at the University of British Columbia (Okanagan campus), and a Graduate Research Assistant in the School of Engineering. She is currently working on setting seismic guidelines for conventional precast concrete shear walls.
She was born in Kigali, Rwanda and achieved academic success in form of both a Bachelor’s degree (Honors with distinction) in Civil Engineering and a Master’s degree in Structural Engineering at the University of Texas at San Antonio in the USA, from 2012 to 2018. Her Master’s Thesis was focused on “Setting Bar-Bending requirements for High-Strength Steel Bars in Cold Temperature”, where she also served as a Teaching Assistant. In giving back to society, she started a consulting firm to help disadvantaged communities with initiatives and programs that help to build houses for refugees in her home country.
Skills Acquired & Interests:
- Site Project Management skills for roads and Buildings;
- Efficient in AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, Mathlab, Labview, SAP 2000: Concrete Structures 3D Designer, and RAM: Steel structure 3D Designer
- Leadership and communication skills;
- Strong technical aptitude and Operation analysis skills;
- Complex problem solver and Critical thinker;
- Report writing and presentation skills;
- Computer Savvy (MS Project, MS Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Languages: English, French, Kinyarwanda, and Swahili
Current Research Project
- Development of seismic design guidelines for conventional precast concrete shear walls
Professional Work Experience
• Remote Group, Rwanda, Quality Control Engineer (2019 – 2020)
- Project supervision and monitoring works in progress to ensure they are per design specification and per the country’s standards.
- Plan and direct activities concerned with development, application, and maintenance of quality standards for the materials used and the implementation.
- Develop and initiate standards and methods for inspection and testing.
- Ensure safety practices to electrical equipment such as generators, transformers, switchgears, and inverters.
- Devise sampling procedures and designs and develops forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality and reliability data.
- Establishes program to evaluate precision and accuracy of production equipment and testing.
- Direct workers engaged in measuring and testing concerning materials or process quality.CIRRICULUM VITAE _ Chadia Uwamahoro Page 2
- Inspection of the works done by Contractors.
• QUANTUM, Rwanda, Managing Director /Structural Engineer (2019 – Current)
- Provide advice and guidance on project management activities in accordance with service agreements and project documents.
- Ensure the development, implementation and, where necessary, the amendment of budgets and organizational charts, ensuring synergies within the company.
- Check the electrical & plumbing problems and coming out with solutions.
- Help obtaining planning and/or building regulations approvals.
- Help and support company’s employees with all project activities, including financial aspects.
- Ensure quality control for management products such as project documents and reports.
• PRISMA, Rwanda, Structural Engineer/ Project manager (2019)
- Prepare reports, designs and drawings
- Making calculations about loads and stresses, thus selecting appropriate construction materials for the project.
- Provide technical advice
- Communicating with relevant professional staff such as architects
- Monitoring and inspecting work undertaken by contractors
- Administering contracts, and managing projects
- Inspect properties to check conditions/foundations
• Graduate Research Assistant at University of Texas at San Antonio (2017-2018)- As master’s student, I worked on a study “Setting Bar-Bending requirements for High-Strength Steel Bars in Cold Temperature.”
- Preparing Reinforcing steel bent-bar specimens
- Testing the specimens to fracture in a high-capacity uniaxial testing machine
- Processing the data and writing findings in the thesis.
• City of San Antonio Transportation Department, Texas, United States, Assistant Project Manager (2015 – 2016)
- Assist in the coordination of internal resources to ensure the successful implementation of projects.
- Develop detailed project plans to monitor and track progress.
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation.
- Support the General Services Department through data management, scheduling, and coordination of meetings.
- Prepares/updates project status reports, municipal billing, parking revenue reports, cemetery revenue reports, processes purchase orders and invoices, updates tracking reports and maintains project files.
- Participates in review of special contracts and projects to move the City forward.CIRRICULUM VITAE _ Chadia Uwamahoro Page 3
- Assists staff with implementation of goals and objectives for special programs, projects, and systems; participates in department and division’s short and long-term planning; establishes schedules and methods for program operations.
- Assist in the preparation of the departmental budget.
- Reviews various records of the department including but not limited to financials, grants, City strategic plan and prepares department-level reports and comparative analyses to management team.
- Assists staff and consultants in preparation of documentation required by oversight agencies.
- Assists in the coordination of city infrastructure improvement projects with all other civil projects planned or underway.
- Refers to policy and procedure manuals, computer manuals, City codes and ordinances, and design standards.