Deepak is a Graduate Research Assistant under the supervision of Dr Lisa Tobber and Dr Shahria Alam at the School of Engineering (SoE), The University of British Columbia, Okanagan. He has firsthand field experience in Nepal in seismic vulnerability damage assessment, earthquake-resistant construction, seismic retrofit and rehabilitation of buildings, and post-earthquake damage assessment.
Deepak is currently working on a Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) connection in the precast concrete shear wall.
- Precast Construction
- Shape Memory Alloy (SMA)
- Earthquake Engineering
- Earthquake Resistant Design and Construction
Current Research Project
- Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) connection in precast concrete shear wall
• Guidelines and Manual
- “HOLLOW CONCRETE BLOCKS MANUAL for LOAD BEARING STRUCTURES” for houses built under the HOUSING RECONSTRUCTION PROGRAMME, Government of Nepal, National Reconstruction Authority, published on 13 February 2019.
• Conference Paper:
- “Parametric study of slender shear walls reinforced with shape memory alloy bars” published in the CSCE 2022 Annual Conference.
- “Production & use of hollow concrete blocks in reconstruction after Gorkha earthquake” paper published on 17th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (WCEE) 2020 Proceedings
Service to community/industry
- Supported communities in building earthquake-resilient structures through compliance and enforcement of the Nepal National Building Code in 30 municipalities of Nepal.
- Conducted numerous trainings on earthquake-resistant design and construction for engineers and other stakeholders at local, regional and national levels.
- Worked as a Technical Coordinator for the earthquake-affected 32 districts of Nepal and supported the Government of Nepal (GoN) on the post-earthquake housing reconstruction.
Honor and Awards
- Awarded UBC Okanagan Graduate Research Scholarships
- Awarded Graduate Dean’s Entrance Scholarship
- Awarded Nepal Aid Fund Scholarship Scheme 2008-09 by Ministry of External Affairs, India for studying Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering at Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, India.