Seyed Saeed Askariani
Saeed is an incoming Ph.D. Student and Graduate Research Assistant in the school of Engineering at the University of British Columbia, Okanagan Campus. He completed his bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering at the University of Bojnord and master’s degree in Structural Engineering at the Ferdowsi University of Mashhad (Iran), from 2010 to 2017. After his graduation, he mainly worked at the University of Bojnord as a post-graduate researcher and later (from 2020) as an instructor of the Civil Engineering group. His main research interests are steel and composite structures, mass timber buildings, structural dynamics and control. Since 2020, he has also served as a reviewer of Elsevier’s journal of “Structures”. He has extensive experience and capability in both concrete and steel structure analysis and design. He is highly experienced in ABAQUS finite element software and has excellent capability in structural engineering analysis software – SAP2000, ETABS, SAFE.
- Steel and composite structures
- Mass timber structures
- Structural dynamics and control
- Experimental (small- to large-scale), numerical (non-linear finite element analysis), and analytical evaluation of structures
Current Research Project
- Development of seismic design guidelines for low-rise CLT wall buildings
• Journal Paper:
- Gholami, N., Garivani, S., Askariani, S.S., and Hajirasouliha, I., Estimation of hysteretic energy distribution for energy-based design of structures equipped with dampers. Journal of Building Engineering, 2022.
- Askariani, S.S.,Garivani, S., Hajirasouliha, I., and Soleimanian, N.,Innovative self-centering systems using shape memory alloy bolts and energy dissipating devices. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 2022. 190.
- Askariani, S.S., Garivani, S., Hasani, M., and Hajirasouliha, I., Special truss moment frames equipped with steel slit dampers. International Journal of Steel Structures, 2021.
- Gholami, N., Garivani, S. and Askariani, S.S., State-of-the-art review of energy-based seismic design methods. Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering, 2021.
- Montazeri, E., Kazemi, S.M. and Askariani, S.S., Finite element parametric study on the cyclic response of steel frames equipped with comb-teeth dampers. Structures, 2021. 31: p. 111-126.
- Garivani, S., Askariani, S.S. and Aghakouchak, A.A., Seismic design of structures with yielding dampers based on drift demands. Structures, 2020. 28: p. 1885-1899.
- Askariani, S.S. and Garivani, S., Introducing and numerical study of a new brace-type slit damper. Structures, 2020. 27: p. 702-717.
- Askariani, S.S., Garivani, S. and Aghakouchak, A.A., Application of slit link beam in eccentrically braced frames. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 2020. 170.
Honor & Awards
- Ranked 4th among all graduate students (52 students) of BSc program.